Saturday, February 24, 2018

Surveys No. 11 and No. 10

Survey No. 11

Do you recall being interested in the alphabet at an early age, if so what age?

Yes! My mom taught me to read and write when I was 3 and I was always reading and looking at the words and the shapes they made.

Do you recall being interested in penmanship at an early age, if so what age?

Since I could already read and write, my first grade teacher taught me to write in cursive. That made writing even more exciting, it was so fancy and grown up!

Do you recall being interested in calligraphy at an early age, if so what age?

I first learned about calligraphy when I was 12 and my 7th grade art teacher did a unit on calligraphy. We learned Uncial, Italic and Gothic. I was such a good calligrapher that they had me do the covers for awards programs and fill out certificates, that sort of thing. But it wasn't until I was much, much older that I learned that there was more than just those three styles!

Was there a person or a book you ran across that had a big influence on your path?

There wasn't a particular person but I was always fascinated by illuminated manuscripts.

Did you discover lettering/penmanship/calligraphy at a much later age?

So I was pretty young when I was introduced to penmanship/calligraphy/lettering, but I studied architecture and got stuck in the idea of precision and drafting for many years, so it's just been in the past 10 years or so when I began teaching my children to write that I came back to learning about letterforms and lettering as a an artistic outlet.

What do you enjoy most about writing?

You can do it anywhere and it's easy to pick up and put down quickly, in case one of the kids needs you. The materials don't have to be expensive and it's also practical, even writing a check is more fun when you can make it beautiful and it's fun when other people notice it.

What do you find most frustrating about writing?

Sometimes your hands just can't do what you want.  I keep trying to learn Spencerian, because I love it, but no matter what I do, my pen won't make the shapes!

Do you have a specific goal?

To teach others, particularly my own children, how to love writing also and do it well.

Can you describe any ah-ha moment where you discovered something that really helped with your journey?

When I realized how tense I am! I'm still not good at remembering to relax, but when I do, things go much more smoothly.

If you have taken classes, do you recall why you signed up for your first class?

I haven't taken any classes, but I did attend a lecture by Michael Sull once and I made my children sit there with me because, as I mentioned, I REALLY wish I could write Spencerian.

Have your classes met or exceeded your expectations?

It exceeded my expectations. I learned how much I don't know.

Do you think we all start with equal potential?
Why do you think some people catch on faster than others?

I don't think we all have the same potential (just like I'm not built to be a great gymnast,) some have more of an aptitude for fine motor skills, but everyone can do something.

Is anyone truly *hopeless* (at improving their penmanship)?

No one is ever hopeless. Your desire to improve is always the most important factor.


Survey No. 10

Do you recall being interested in the alphabet at an early age, if so what age? 
Yes, I was very interested in reading and writing followed shortly thereafter, so around four five and six.

Do you recall being interested in penmanship at an early age, if so what age?
I had fun being creative right from the start, teachers didn't approve...

Do you recall being interested in calligraphy at an early age, if so what age?
I remember as a twelve year old being encouraged to take up calligraphy and being quite intimidated by it! I was much more interested in drawing. The idea of all that practicing was horrifying...

Was there a person or a book you ran across that had a big influence on your path? 
Not really.

Did you discover lettering/penmanship/calligraphy at a much later age?
When I took on the teaching of my kids at home I realized I would have to clean up my penmanship and spent just as much time practicing as they did. I have played at lettering all along but in an un-ruled arty kind of fashion.

What do you enjoy most about writing?
When I am in the flow and it rolls out of the pen as if of it's on volition or when I am playing around and some new detail emerges. When writing a letter a good pen brings much enjoyment. Good paper is becoming more important now too.

What do you find most frustrating about writing?
Spelling and when I am feeling inadequate...

Do you have a specific goal? No

Can you describe any ah-ha moment where you discovered something that really helped with your journey?
Really that time when I was starting to teach my boys.

If you have taken classes, do you recall why you signed up for your first class?
I haven't taken classes.

Do you think we all start with equal potential?
Way back when we were tiny people the way we were approached made a significant impact on how all the following years of learning went. None the less I am pretty sure we all have varying skill areas and types of learning styles so no, I guess I don't. Meaning I think everyone has great potential but in many different areas.

Why do you think some people catch on faster than others?
That would be because of the varying skills we all have. I would never catch on quickly anything related to computers but can easily grasp directions of a visual or crafty nature, My husband would be the perfect opposite example!

Is anyone truly *hopeless* (at improving their penmanship)? 
Nope.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Surveys - first 10 posts on the blog (List of surveys added after the morning this all started.)

A new survey was posted around noon - CST - on Feb 24, 2018. If you read the other surveys early in the day - you might have missed it. Ev...