Saturday, February 24, 2018

Survey No. 8 and No. 18

Do you recall being interested in the alphabet at an early age, if so what age? no

Do you recall being interested in penmanship at an early age, if so what age?  no

Do you recall being interested in calligraphy at an early age, if so what age? no

Was there a person or a book you ran across that had a big influence on your path?  yes - Cheryl Jacobsen

Did you discover lettering/penmanship/calligraphy at a much later age? yes

What do you enjoy most about writing? having a finished project that looks great. 

What do you find most frustrating about writing? mistakes

Do you have a specific goal? No, other than to keep trying to get better. 

Can you describe any ah-ha moment where you discovered something that really helped with your journey? I'm not sure this is an ah-ha moment. I had taken a few of Cheryl J. evening adult classes. I have no art background and no natural talent, so it was extremely hard. I had no idea! I couldn't see the small details or even draw a straight line. I next took her beginning class at the U and practiced like crazy. I really discovered the importance of practicing during that class. 

If you have taken classes, do you recall why you signed up for your first class? 
A neighbor asked Glen Epstein to teach an Italic class for a few of her friends. I was working and didn't have time to practice so made no progress. I did learn that there was a whole lot more to calligraphy than I had imaged and put it on my "someday" list. 

Have your classes met or exceeded your expectations? YES, all most all 

Do you think we all start with equal potential? no

Why do you think some people catch on faster than others? 
People with an art background  all ready have an eye that "sees" all the little differences. It took me a long time to be able to see why my letters didn't look quite right. I also had to build hand and arm muscles. I couldn't begin to do letters with whole arm motion for years. 

Is anyone truly *hopeless* (at improving their penmanship)? 
Yes, if they are not willing to practice


******

Do you recall being interested in the alphabet at an early age, if so what age? 
- I do not recall but know that since we were four sisters (hardly a year apart each) my mom made sure we started practicing our writing at an early age - to keep us entertained!

Do you recall being interested in penmanship at an early age, if so what age? No recollection

Do you recall being interested in calligraphy at an early age, if so what age? Y
es, my mom (and grandma had) has beautiful handwriting and when growing up I tried to imitated.

Was there a person or a book you ran across that had a big influence on your path? 
My mom and one of my paternal aunts, they were big letter writers back in the day.

Did you discover lettering/penmanship/calligraphy at a much later age? 
Yes, in my early 20s while studying in San Diego I took a calligraphy class

What do you enjoy most about writing? The intimacy of monologue and how we open up to the receiver.


What do you find most frustrating about writing? How I start getting sloppy after a while, before a long letter is finished.

Do you have a specific goal? Yes, to improve my handwriting in general

Can you describe any ah-ha moment where you discovered something that really helped with your journey? 
Yes, that unless we start we'll never get to where we want to be.

If you have taken classes, do you recall why you signed up for your first class? 
Yes, to improve and make my handwriting fancy

Have your classes met or exceeded your expectations? 
My expectations were met, I just wish I had kept on practicing

Do you think we all start with equal potential? Probably not, but we can develop them if we persevere.

Why do you think some people catch on faster than others? Because we all have different talents

Is anyone truly *hopeless* (at improving their penmanship)? No, if they apply themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Surveys - first 10 posts on the blog (List of surveys added after the morning this all started.)

A new survey was posted around noon - CST - on Feb 24, 2018. If you read the other surveys early in the day - you might have missed it. Ev...