Saturday, February 24, 2018

Survey No. 7 and No. 17

Do you recall being interested in calligraphy at an early age, if so what age?  
I attended Catholic school and the nuns were “hell bent” on making sure that people wrote properly and beautifully in fourth grade! Ugh.  Actually I didn’t mind the penmanship drills, it was better than doing Math!

Was there a person or a book you ran across that had a big influence on your path?  
In high school I was taught italic and the book that was used was “Calligraphic Lettering” by Ralph Douglass.  I found it recently in an old used bookstore and purchased it.  Great information and nostalgic too!

What do you enjoy most about writing?  
The zen quality, and always hoping it will be better than what I did yesterday.

What do you find most frustrating about writing?  
Just when I think that I’m doing well, I look back on whatever I was writing months later and decide that it could have been better.

Do you have a specific goal?  
Maybe simply to get the thick and thin lines perfect!

Can you describe any ah-ha moment where you discovered something that really helped with your journey?  
I think it was finding the best nibs and inks that help with the process, but it’s always a quest.

If you have taken classes, do you recall why you signed up for your first class?  
I saw how beautiful the example was and thought if only I get half as good, it would be challenging and exciting. 

Have your classes met or exceeded your expectations?  
Definitely exceeded my expectations and the teachers have been incredibly talented!

Do you think we all start with equal potential?  
I’d like to say yes, but I think we all bring different abilities to the table.  Again, glad I’m not doing math!

Why do you think some people catch on faster than others?  
They must have a certain patience and willingness to take it slow.  Me, I tend to jump in with two feet and hope for the best.

Is anyone truly *hopeless* (at improving their penmanship)?  
Definitely no  You just have to pick one small item and concentrate on that, such as  improving a favorite letter, or maybe trying to get the right slant.  But it’s really journey.


SURVEY NO. 17


Do you recall being interested in the alphabet at an early age, if so what age?

no

Do you recall being interested in penmanship at an early age, if so what age?

my first thoughts were that i didn't like the alphabet posted above the blackboards from 1st grade onwards...there were letters such as cap J and I that had swingy bits i found ugly, among others,  so i modified them when i wrote...my teachers didn't like that i didn't follow the rules...still i persisted in refiguring the letters fitting my own style and still do 

Do you recall being interested in calligraphy at an early age, if so what age?

no

Was there a person or a book you ran across that had a big influence on your path?

there was not a single thing but a suite 
the first book was david harris' the art of calligraphy a practical guide to the skills ad techniques...i
ordered it online and using ruled paper and a drug store cartridge pen with a square nib started trying to teach myself...there were letterforms i really liked which the author dubbed insular, gothic, rotunda and caroline and there were those less interesting to me...foundational
my first teacher was glen epstein who taught online courses from the u of iowa...loved it
my second teacher was jean wilson whom i met at a one day tutorial on bookmaking which she taught with cheryl jacobson
i joined a calligraphy guild in des moines and started taking art lessons at the des moines art center taught by jean

Did you discover lettering/penmanship/calligraphy at a much later age? 

yes, calligraphy...after i retired

What do you enjoy most about writing?

steady concentration

What do you find most frustrating about writing?

arthritis

Do you have a specific goal?

not so much now...well...except not to get ink all over myself

Can you describe any ah-ha moment where you discovered something that really helped with your journey?

two things, the use of gouache for ink and the emergence of art [jean wilson]

If you have taken classes, do you recall why you signed up for your first class?

i realized u of iowa offered online classes and  i could get expert instruction and critical feedback

Have your classes met or exceeded your expectations?

exceed 

Do you think we all start with equal potential?

no

Why do you think some people catch on faster than others?

desire...the ability to quiet one's mind...the ability to steadily control your hand with the use of your eyes 

Is anyone truly *hopeless* (at improving their penmanship)?

absolutely not

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Surveys - first 10 posts on the blog (List of surveys added after the morning this all started.)

A new survey was posted around noon - CST - on Feb 24, 2018. If you read the other surveys early in the day - you might have missed it. Ev...