Saturday, February 24, 2018

Survey No. 6 and Survey No. 16

SURVEY NO. 6

I am happy to weigh in although one would never consider me a calligrapher in any way. I am a mail artist, however, and an enthusiastic one at that. In fact, recently at our gallery, we conducted a mail art class which was enthusiastically received. In my powerpoint presentation, I liberally used work from your website as inspiration and provided your blog address for further learning opportunities.

I completely agree with your definitions so would define myself as a letterer.

I was asked early on by my fifth grade teacher to print when taking spelling tests because my as and os in cursive looked too similar for her to grade fairly. Thus began a lifetime of writing in block capital letters. Such a pity. Because of that, my cursive has suffered tremendously. Shortly after my son was born, I received a calligraphy set and was so exited but, alas, no classes, no internet, no way to learn it properly. I set it aside, moved it from house to house and finally sold it at a garage sale about ten years ago.

Four years ago at a craft fair, I met a calligrapher who was offering classes in my town. Tana Bondar introduced me to italic lettering and I stunk at it. I'm afraid my 60 year old hands are a tad too shaky. On the final class, Tana had a tabletop full of mail art that she had sent and received. I was enchanted. My imagination was sparked and I began, in earnest, sending mail and hoarding stamps. A simple internet search helped me find you and your blog and I was off. Shortly after that I sent you an envelope with a drawing on it, (I recall that you mentioned that it was a bit odd that I just showed up like that but I was already a big fan) Anyway, the rest is history. I send lots of mail to very happy recipients and, as I mentioned, have turned several people on to it along the way.

So, thank you for the opportunity to relate all this to you. Keep up the good work.

****
Note from Jean:

Here it is. You said you wished you had made the hands on the clock point to 420. I remember it arriving and in my post, I welcomed you to the club of "people I have never met who send mail spontaneously." Not a large club - an elite club - on a couple levels.


********* 

SURVEY NO. 16

My interest was reading first.
Then in second grade, we had the yellow cursive letters on the green chalk paper above the board.
I remember “seeing” the capital I. The whole cursive thing was interesting. I remember loving penmanship, in the official books. They were thin little books with lines and I wanted mine to match the examples. 
I found comfort in seeing the alphabet above the chalk boards. Watching my teacher write cursive on the board was mesmerizing.
In high school, my art teacher wrote the word flower vertically and horizontally. He asked which was harder to read? F L O W E R was easier. 
I began practicing calligraphy as an adult, and when my first daughter was born I lettered her announcement. I would keep one pen, ink, and a pad on top of the fridge when the kids were little. I practiced at night when the girls were in bed on my kitchen table.

I enjoy journaling, writing out prayers or words to emphasize a thought. I love reading the Bible in King James and finding a new word in Hebrew or Greek or verse to letter using markers or colored pencils. Sumphutos is a word that means planted with Christ in his death and raised to life in His resurrection. So writing the word, I put flingers out from it with small flowers and leaves. I “see life” springing from the word and express it with colors and small leafy things.
I delight in sending a hand lettered card to someone about each day. Or I make them a bookmark. I am sure as a substitute teacher I have hand lettered 1000-2000 bookmarks for-students with their name and a saying, eg. Be nice to the pizza delivery guy.
Frustrating, hmmm...not taking the time to get out the dip pens anymore. Real calligraphy with pen and ink is so beautiful, but I don’t do it anymore. 

Good teachers, which would be a story itself. But I know critique AND watching others was wonderful and essential in my journey. The calligraphy guild in the beginning was education at multiple levels. Personal mentors like Jean that responded to questions and suggested new things to try. I will never forget when Cheryl Adams taught uncial at the church basement on the stage and I lettered with a pink Zig. Doing letters for two hours was amazing! Coaches can bring one to a new level. Seeing work by others was good too. I remember a birthday card from Joan with green grass strokes under my name and pink flowers, letters of my name on their tips. I wanted to duplicate those grass blades. Flingers. Which direction does one move the pen to get the effect? 

Good teachers and good artwork as in art displays of other calligraphers from different levels help with seeing layout and good design.

As for catching on, one must have interest but in my moments of teaching, some are more interested and pay closer attention than others. If you could answer the question about why some catch on faster, you could probably work for the US army in teaching motivation. In chemistry there was a saying, “them what has, gets.” People who stay after class and ask questions learn more. There may be some outstanding beginners, but practice is essential to growth. 

Classes that I liked best had some clear directions and exemplars and good showing of the “moves.” I like being shown how to do it first. Both in big, in front of the class ways on boards or easels and gathering around watching over shoulders. Watching another letter is a great joy for me. 

Haven’t thought about the poor handwriting question. Thankfully neuroplasticity seems to apply in all areas of learning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Surveys - first 10 posts on the blog (List of surveys added after the morning this all started.)

A new survey was posted around noon - CST - on Feb 24, 2018. If you read the other surveys early in the day - you might have missed it. Ev...