Saturday, February 24, 2018

Survey No. 5 and Survey No. 15

SURVEY NO. 5

Do you recall being interested in penmanship at an early age, if so what age?
  Yes, I think I was 4 and would imitate my parents by scribbling.  

Do you recall being interested in calligraphy at an early age, if so what age?
    (Sixth grade)
    Sister Pauline Mary showed us how to rubber band 2 pencils together and we wrote
    a squarish Uncial hand.  I never forgot how to make these letters.

Was there a person or a book you ran across that had a big influence on your path?
    During my first calligraphy class my teacher announced that there would be no
      class the next week but that we were all invited to the Detroit Public Library for a 
      Lecture  and book signing by Donald Jackson.  Mind blowing!

Did you discover lettering/penmanship/calligraphy at a much later age?
      I was 29 and newly married.  

What do you enjoy most about writing? 
      When everything comes together.  Meaningful words written with a well
      Prepared nib and freshly ground ink on fine paper.  Bliss.


What do you find most frustrating about writing?
        Not being able to reproduce what I have in my head.  DaVinci said, "The 
          Supreme Misfortune is when theory outstrips performance"

Do you have a specific goal?
        Not really.  Learning never ends!  I am a curious person and there is an 
        endless amount to enjoy and discover in the lettering arts.  

Can you describe any ah-ha moment where you discovered something that really helped with your journey?
          Was very lucky to have been able to attend Reggie Ezell's year long class
          years ago.  The class was located only a half mile from my home!  It was 
          meant to be.  It gave me a solid foundation on which to build.

If you have taken classes, do you recall why you signed up for your first class?
          To make my Christmas cards look pretty!  Ha!

Have your classes met or exceeded your expectations?
          Yes, I have been so fortunate to have generous and knowledgeable 
            teachers.  And wonderful classmates!  I love my calligraphic tribe!

Do you think we all start with equal potential?
          No.  Some take to it like a duck to water.  For others it can be a real struggle.
          Passion helps.

Why do you think some people catch on faster than others?
          This question interests me a lot sinceI have begun to teach.
            Each student is unique.  I think consistent and thoughtful practice can
          make a huge difference.

Is anyone truly *hopeless* (at improving their penmanship)?
          No!  Careful observation and consistent practice will get you there!


SURVEY NO. 15



Do you recall being interested in the alphabet at an early age, if so what age?  No

Do you recall being interested in penmanship at an early age, if so what age?  No

Do you recall being interested in calligraphy at an early age, if so what age?  No

Was there a person or a book you ran across that had a big influence on your path?  No

Did you discover lettering/penmanship/calligraphy at a much later age?

I was interested in lettering when I was in high school.  I used to letter on folders and papers.

I don’t remember at any particular time being interested in calligraphy.  Just appreciated looking at it and wishing I was able to do it. But I didn’t know how to go about learning.  When we moved to our house, we were about 7 blocks from Artist and Display (sure miss the store).  I was 45 years old. My mother had signed our son up for a cartooning class when he was in grade school.  Jon had graduated high school when we moved.  We were still on their mailing list and I received a flier that mentioned calligraphy classes.  I signed up for an Uncial class with Sue McConnell.  Shortly after that, I took a Italics class with her.  In hindsight, I should have concentrated on one hand before trying to learn another one.  I ended up joining the calligraphy guild.  I enjoyed taking lettering and calligraphy classes and workshops.

So if my mother hadn’t signed Jon up for the cartooning class, I never would have taken that first class.  I never would have met so many wonderful and talented people.  I never would have learned that I have some artistic ability.  I wouldn’t have a room full of art supplies.  But our bank account would be larger.  And most important to me now is that I wouldn’t have something that I truly enjoy to occupy my time now that I’m stuck in the house.

What do you enjoy most about writing?  

I really don’t know.  I find it relaxing.  It can help get your mind off of problems if you are concentrating on the marks you are making on the paper. Hopefully, when I’m finished, I’ll enjoy looking at the finished project.

And of course, it’s fun to use different kinds of makers, pens, pencils and nibs.

What do you find most frustrating about writing? 

I have a difficult time outlining letters.  I try going slow and I’ll try being quick.  I’m rarely satisfied with my results.
I think I am dip pen challenged.  I’ve taken Copperplate classes three times ~ Sue McConnell, Mike Kesceg, and Dr. Joe Vitolo.  Dr. Joe helped the most.  He adjusted the holder for me.  

There are so many variables when it comes to calligraphy ~ papers, inks, nibs, etc.  You really need to spend a lot of time to know what goes with what.  I’m frustrated when I use a pen ~ like a parallel pen ~ and the ink bleeds because of the paper I’m using.

I wish I didn’t get so anxious when doing something for someone else.  

Do you have a specific goal?

I want to be more consistent with my letter shapes.  I know that comes with practice and more practice.  

I think I’ve come to the conclusion that I just want to enjoy what I am able to do.  I do too many other things to spend the necessary time to be at the level I would like to be at.  

I want to keep trying new things instead of always using letters that I’m comfortable knowing I’ll be satisfied with the results.


Can you describe any ah-ha moment where you discovered something that really helped with your journey?

Not really

If you have taken classes, do you recall why you signed up for your first class?

I explained that above.

Have your classes met or exceeded your expectations?

I’ve taken a lot of classes.  There were one or two teachers whose style of teaching didn’t gel with my ability to learn what they were teaching.  But I still enjoyed the experience and spending time with others.  I REALLY miss being able to take classes.  I’ve taken a few online classes.  I enjoy them, but it’s not as enjoyable as taking a class in person.  

Do you think we all start with equal potential? 

No 

Why do you think some people catch on faster than others?

I believe that all people have certain things that come easier for them.  And some were gifted with abilities that come natural for them.  Not that they don’t have to work at it.  But I could never reach talents of people like Jake Weidmann.  I know that Dr. Joe Vitolo is self taught and he began late in life.  I believe that Debi Zeinert is also self taught.  Nancy Hills talent is beyond anything I could ever hope to achieve.  

Is anyone truly *hopeless* (at improving their penmanship)?

Yes ~ Any person who doesn’t have any interest in improving.  
If someone wants to improve, I believe with enough practice, they could improve.



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Surveys - first 10 posts on the blog (List of surveys added after the morning this all started.)

A new survey was posted around noon - CST - on Feb 24, 2018. If you read the other surveys early in the day - you might have missed it. Ev...