Saturday, February 24, 2018

Survey No. 2 and Survey No. 12

SURVEY NO. 2

Do you recall being interested in the alphabet at an early age, if so what age?
    Don't remember the alphabet specifically, but always liked to draw/doodle/sign my name in interesting ways

Do you recall being interested in penmanship at an early age, if so what age?
    I liked learning cursive and wanted to make big loopy Ws.  Teachers insisted on the Palmer Method.  My Catholic-school friends used cartridge-filled fountain pens and were whacked on the wrist with a ruler when their letters were not right.  I knew that penmanship was a serious subject.

Do you recall being interested in calligraphy at an early age, if so what age?
    I became interested in high school. I was the only girl allowed to take the Mechanical Drawing class because I didn't want to take Home Ec which was all I did on weekends with my grandma - sew and cook.  I liked to draw and the lettering was fun, too.  I liked rulers, graph paper, and words on maps.  I tried to copy my dad's Old English script when I put my last name across the back of my white gym uniform in permanent black Magic Marker.  Was that ever ugly.

Was there a person or a book you ran across that had a big influence on your path?
    My dad did calligraphy on certificates for teams and on diplomas for graduations. I watched in my early elementary years.  He had really cool equipment at his big oak desk in the basement - colored inks, pens, graph paper, index cards, a variety of stencils for both lettering and flourishing, rulers (he called "straight edges" which, I guess, were different.) I learned later that he was probably a very frustrated architect, quite specific and perfectionistic, mathematical, and very critical of my attempts.  He was not a teacher.  He also spent hours drawing house plans for additions we never added and intricate, colorful football plays for my brother's teams.

What do you enjoy most about writing?
    I like using it along with my drawings.  The alphabet is predictable and necessary.  Lettering allows me to play with it.  It satisfies both sides of the brain.

What do you find most frustrating about writing?
    Getting part way though and realizing mistakes, wanting to start over with a better idea, not knowing when to stop, not liking it at all when I'm done, not having time for do-overs

Do you have a specific goal?
    Not really.  I'd like to get better, of course, but I am enjoying the creative process and trying out new tools.  I'll settle into a specific goal eventually.  Stumble in, more likely.

Can you describe any ah-ha moment where you discovered something that really helped with your journey?
    Mistakes are my ah-ha moments, but I had to learn that.  At some point I decided that I had to like what I do and the rest doesn't matter.  So, I like what I do well enough.  There's freedom in that.  Or maybe I'm just old.  After years of telling kids that they ARE artists, I've decided to quit thinking about it and be one. 

If you have taken classes, do you recall why you signed up for your first class?
    I took an adult-ed calligraphy class in the middle 80s.  We used calligraphy markers, and I found it easy so I had some success.  I've a lifetime attraction to writing tools, office supplies, and paper products.

Have your classes met or exceeded your expectations?
    The most recent one - taught by you at the art center - was very challenging in good ways.  My expectations were exceeded because a whole new world of mail art opened up. I lacked a motivation to produce something.  The envelopes are fun mini-masterpeices.  I had the opportunity to watch the masters at work - you and Tome - and admire gorgeous calligraphy in the right ink on the right paper.  Oh, I have so much more to do!  And that feeling of excitement is the extra I didn't expect.

Do you think we all start with equal potential?
    I don't think so.  There are many visual skills that can be taught, but some children are physically challenged; others are disinterested.  Some are exposed to art and artists, taught to appreciate design, make connections, recognize creativity, draw or write for fun, practice hand-eye coordination - others, not so much.

Why do you think some people catch on faster than others?
     Childhood experiences and interests are factors.  Maybe a whack on the wrist makes a difference?  Maybe not.  Sewing with my grandma taught me geometry. Watching my dad taught me design. I had no vocabulary to explain anything. I didn't know what I knew, but I made great posters and maps.

Is anyone truly *hopeless* (at improving their penmanship)?
    Everyone can improve at anything if he/she wants to work at it.  Unfortunately, no one really needs to improve his/her penmanship as every important communication will be typed.  Penmanship is a skill for the art department now.  I taught cursive writing for years.  I think I made it fun.  I had fun!  The girls usually did better than the boys (or were more interested), and all certainly improved as they practiced.  There is no room in the curriculum for that these days.


Survey No. 12


I loved to write and draw from when I was about 2 years old. Crayons were my instrument of choice. Legibility and artistic merit may have been debatable.

My interest in penmanship dates back to  a parochial grammar school education. Also, my grandmother had beautiful handwriting, and her letters were always looked forward to.
My fondest penmanship moment was in 8th grade, passing my spelling test forward, and having the students in my row remark on my beautiful handwriting.❤️✍️

Calligraphy, when my sister took an art class in college, and they did a calligraphy lesson. I was hooked!

My first calligraphy book was by Margaret Shepard. I still own it! I love The Postman's Knock...so many great ideas!

I really enjoy sending and receiving envelopes. It is fun to exchange, get ideas, and practice new styles. I have made some great penpals;  between that and Pte, it's great motivation to keep practicing.

Most difficult for me... making the time to practice and not making progress as fast as I would like...
I really want to improve on practice time, consistency, hairlines, letter forms.

I think anyone can learn, but it takes practice, practice and more practice.
I have taken classes in the past, the most important thing I came away with was a lifetime friendship with fellow calligrapher, CJ. She offers advice, tips, compliments, ideas, and encouragement, plus all the best parts of friendship. She was the one who told me about Pte, mmsa,  among many other art groups.


Hopefully I will get to take a class again in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Surveys - first 10 posts on the blog (List of surveys added after the morning this all started.)

A new survey was posted around noon - CST - on Feb 24, 2018. If you read the other surveys early in the day - you might have missed it. Ev...