Saturday, February 24, 2018

Survey No. 3 and Survey No. 13

SURVEY NO. 3

Do you recall being interested in the alphabet at an early age, if so what age?
Yes, I was the youngest of four children and was interested in learning and writing from a very young age, probably 3 years old.

Do you recall being interested in penmanship at an early age, if so what age?
Yes!  I remember practicing my penmanship all the time as a young (5 years old)  child on those pre-lined notebooks for penmanship.  I went to Catholic school and we were graded for penmanship from the first grade. Both my parents had beautiful penmanship and I was determined at a young age to also have nice handwriting.  I loved practicing!

Do you recall being interested in calligraphy at an early age, if so what age?
Through my teens I was always interested in Calligraphy. I bought do-it-yourself learning books to use with felt-tipped pens but never really learned correctly.

Was there a person or a book you ran across that had a big influence on your path?
I’ve had three teachers over the past few years that made a huge impact on my learning;  Anne Tascio (NY), Moki Kokoris (CT) and Susan Mashman 

Did you discover lettering/penmanship/calligraphy at a much later age?
Not until my kids were grown and I had the time and the opportunity to take some formal classes. I started taking formal Calligraphy (Copperplate) classes about 5 or 6 years ago. I have no artistic talent so it’s been very challenging but I love learning. Wish I had more time to practice!

What do you enjoy most about writing?
It’s very relaxing for me and I love creating something other people can enjoy.

What do you find most frustrating about writing?
I am truly a novice and wish I had more time to practice and become more advanced. Caring for elderly parents at the moment.

Do you have a specific goal?
To practice the different hand, especially Copperplate and possibly be able to someday address envelopes for my family.

Can you describe any ah-ha moment where you discovered something that really helped with your journey?
I learned Copperplate first, but I think if I had learned some of the other hands first, it would have helped me learn Copperplate easier.

If you have taken classes, do you recall why you signed up for your first class?
Learning Calligraphy has ALWAYS been on my bucket list!

Have your classes met or exceeded your expectations?
Absolutely!  I have had to take a break to care for my parents, but I plan on getting back to classes as soon as I can.

Do you think we all start with equal potential?
Absolutely NOT!  I noticed that student who had artistic skills progressed much faster than I, even with the same amount of practice.

Why do you think some people catch on faster than others?
I truly believe who have inherent artistic capabilities catch on faster than others, I;ve seen it in my classes.I

Is anyone truly *hopeless* (at improving their penmanship)?
I think that some people don't have the true desire to improve and practice and get better.  That being said  I also don't think I have the capability to be as good as some other people, despite my desire.


SURVEY NO. 13


Do you recall being interested in the alphabet at an early age, if so what age?
I cannot remember a time when I could not read---so maybe 4 years old? I wanted to master ALL the letters ALL AT ONCE.
Do you recall being interested in penmanship at an early age, if so what age?
I loved to make my papers look like the examples. I wanted praise from my teachers for "doing it right." But there was a flow and motion to D'Nealian that I adored. And then {be still my heart} in 3rd grade we got to do CURSIVE.  I want to cry out when I see adults who must print because "the school didn't have time to teach cursive writing."  I believe writing in cursive is part of a complete education. 
Do you recall being interested in calligraphy at an early age, if so what age?
 I admired it, but thought it was only for "artists" when I was in high school. Or maybe I assumed it would be too hard to do or require a special class.  My mom always used a fountain pen with purple ink to write letters to family, and she bought me my first fountain pen in my mid-teens. I felt so grown up. And boy, did my cursive look good.

Was there a person or a book you ran across that had a big influence on your path?    My mom took an adult-education class on bookhand/foundational using the book  I Love Calligraphy by Alice Girand.* Mom didn't really enjoy it, though, and passed the book on to me.  I taught myself  the entire book while pregnant with my first child (in 1983.)  Looking back, my work was terrible, but I got such enormous satisfaction from writing my baby announcements! [*not a book I would recommend now! but still, it got me started...]  Eleanor Winters' books changed my calligraphy life in many positive ways.
Did you discover lettering/penmanship/calligraphy at a much later age?   I was 24 years old when I got my first broad-tip pen.  And 30 years old when I got my first off-set dip pen. The first 2 weeks of [dip pen] calligraphy classes I cried every day while I practiced. Then about Day 15 I FINALLY GOT IT. Haven't looked back since.
What do you enjoy most about writing?    Seeing the thoughts that WERE in my head ON the paper. [Or someone else's thoughts that I admired.] And making them look nice enough that others want to look at them/read them, too.
What do you find most frustrating about writing?   Yucky paper that bleeds or won't hold the ink; Running out of ink mid-word; Interruptions from the rest of the world.
Do you have a specific goal?   For each of my snail mail envelopes to be a ray of sunshine to the recipient.  To give encouragement to those who are hurting by a word aptly and artistically shared. To give my friends the pleasure of seeing how beautiful their name can look.
Can you describe any ah-ha moment where you discovered something that really helped with your journey?                                                                                                 The LIGHT BOX. I adore my light box. If I made the master copy, it isn't "copying" to have a little help with spacing and placement on the final piece. Those lines behind your paper can make all the difference.
If you have taken classes, do you recall why you signed up for your first class?   When I was pregnant with my 3rd baby (in 1989) I watched an old man doing demonstrations of Spencerian script at a craft fair. He wrote my name on a little card and I decided the Pointed Pen was going to be in my future.  So I found a calligraphy class at the local Garden & Arts (through our city Parks & Rec. Dept.) and had the fortune to meet Sally Sinclair, a true master of the pen and exacting teacher.
Have your classes met or exceeded your expectations?    Mostly.  I've had several teachers who desired excellence in their own skills while they passed on enthusiasm for the craft to the students. When I teach, I want my enthusiasm to be contagious to my students. 

Do you think we all start with equal potential?
So much depends on the environment you grow up in, and whether you are urged to try new things and given the tools and time to practice.  You may have an aptitude that helps you understand spacing or how to manipulate the pen early on, but you can also be led through the basics and achieve similar results with hard work. 

Why do you think some people catch on faster than others?    Eye-hand coordination is prime to learning quickly. But it is still PRACTICE that will make you a calligrapher. The motivation or desire to improve is where people either become skilled or simply quit. 

Is anyone truly *hopeless* (at improving their penmanship)?    NO!  I believe anyone can write more legibly with practice---I often tell folks that "as little as 10- 15 minutes a day can make a world of difference." Nobody can play the piano after one lesson, either! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Surveys - first 10 posts on the blog (List of surveys added after the morning this all started.)

A new survey was posted around noon - CST - on Feb 24, 2018. If you read the other surveys early in the day - you might have missed it. Ev...